When doing a minor change in one of the tables in our sql azure database in the web manager, the webpage froze on save.

No worries, we just execute the query in the ordinary way, via MSSQL management studio. But this wasn't working either, just a spinning executing query.

The web had been able to lock the database.


We tried  sp_who2, to get more information about the lock. Turns out that this doesn't work in sql azure.


After googeling around we found the following two views being able to help:

select * from sys.dmtranlocks where request_lifetime > 1

select * from sys.dmexecconnections order by session_id


Looking at the result it was clear in the elapsed time which session that was holding the lock.

Kill it with the following command:

KILL sessionId